Did you know that God commands us to be glad?
Psalm 37:4 ESV
1) God created us for his glory
Isaiah 43:6-7 ESV
- God made us to magnify his greatness
- the way telescopes magnify stars.
- God gets the praise and we get the pleasure... In Him!
- God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him.
2) Every human should live for God's glory
1 Corinthians 10:31 ESV
- If God made us for his glory, it is clear that we should live for his glory.
- Our duty comes from his design.
- Our first obligation is to show God's value by being satisfied with all that he is for us.
- This is the essence of loving God
Matthew 22:37 ESV
3) All of us have failed to glorify God as we should
Romans 3:23 ESV
- What does that mean?
- It means that none of us has trusted and treasured God the way we should.
- We have not been satisfied with his greatness and walked in his ways.
- We have sought our satisfaction in other things, and treated them as more valuable than God, which is the essence of idolatry.
Romans 1:21-23 ESV
- We were born deeply resistant to having God as our all-satisfying treasure
Ephesians 2:3 ESV
- This is an appalling offense to the greatness of God.
Jeremiah 2:12-13 ESV
4) All of us are subject to God's just condemnation
Romans 6:23 ESV
- We have all belittled the glory of God.
- By preferring other things above him.
- God is just in shutting us out from the enjoyment of his glory forever.
2 Thessalonians 1:9
- The word "hell" is used in the New Testament fourteen times
- twelve times by Jesus himself.
- It is a solemn warning from the Son of God who died to deliver sinners from its curse.
- Eternal Hell is a Testimony to the infinite worth of God's Holiness!
- If the Bible stopped here we would be doomed to a hopeless future...
5) God sent his only son Jesus to provide eternal life and joy
1 Timothy 1:15
- Jesus died and he rose physically from the dead to validate the saving power of his death and to open the gates of eternal life and joy
1 Corinthians 15:20
- This means God can acquit guilty sinners and still be just.
1 Peter 3:18
- Coming home to God is where all deep and lasting satisfaction is found.
6) The benefits purchased by the death of Christ belong to those who repent and trust him
Acts 3:19 ESV
Acts 16:31 ESV
- "Repent" means to turn from all the deceitful promises of sin.
- "Faith" means being satisfied with all that God promises to be for us in Jesus.
John 6:35 ESV
- We do not earn our salvation.
- We cannot merit it (Romans 4:4-5).
- It is by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8-9).
- It is a free gift (Romans 3:24).
When we receive the gift, God's aim in creation is accomplished:
- He is glorified in us and we are satisfied in him
How Shall We Fight for Joy? - by John Piper
1. Realize that authentic joy in God is a gift.
2. Realize that joy must be fought for relentlessly.
3. Resolve to attack all known sin in your life.
4. Learn the secret of gutsy guilt - how to fight like a justified sinner.
5. Realize that the battle is primarily a fight to see God for who he is.
6. Meditate on the Word of God day and night.
7. Pray earnestly and continually for open heart-eyes and an inclination for God.
8. Learn to preach to yourself rather than listen to yourself.
9. Spend time with God-saturated people who help you see God and fight the fight.
10. Be patient in the night of God's seeming absence.
11. Get the rest, exercise, and proper diet that your body was designed by God to have.
12. Make a proper use of God's revelation in nature.
13. Read great books about God and biographies of great saints.
14. Do the hard and loving thing for the sake of others (witness and mercy).
15. Get a global vision for the cause of Christ and pour yourself out for the unreached.